20 January 2013

My Fabric Has Arrived!!




The ‘Henry’ Fat Quarter Bundle – Peak Hour – Riley Blake Designs
From Emma's Fabric Studio

After making the patchwork ball for my daughter I have decided to be a little more adventurous and make something a little more substantial. I am going to make a quilt for my son to go on his new bed, hopefully in time for his birthday next month. I may be pushing myself a little bit with this as it's less than a month away but if I don't set myself a deadline I will probably still be making it for his Christmas present!

My search for fabric had to be done online, which isn't ideal as it can be difficult to get a sense of the scale of the patterns and the true shade of colour. (I have got a good fabric shop near me but taking two under two's is just asking for trouble!) Finding fabrics for boys also proved to be a challenge, although when I come to make something similar for my daughter I'll be spoilt for choice. After a long time searching however, I came across Emma's Fabric Studio. This amazing website is full of fantastic prints  with hundreds of funky and modern prints. Emma has also put together some fat quarter bundles with co-ordinating fabrics from the same designer to take the stress out of choosing fabric online. I went with the 'Henry' bundle as my son is currently obsessed with all things on wheels. 

The fabric arrived today so now I've got to start cutting! I need to look carefully at how the different fabrics will work together to see whether the rough plan in my head is actually achievable. I think the planning and cutting is going to take a lot longer than the sewing up of the quilt!

I'm going to blog about each stage of making the quilt so I hope you will follow me!


No comments:

Post a Comment